Thursday, March 17, 2011

A New Love in my Life...

I'm beginning to think that I have a new love in my life. 
(Sorry Amazing Boyfriend, but it's true.) I am totally in love with fabric paint!!! 

After reading other blogs talking about using fabric paint and freezer paper here, here and here, I decided that I had to totally steal the idea give it a try myself. Since I got a new Silhouette machine for Christmas (thanks, Mom and Dad), it meant that I already has the super lazy easy means to make a stencil with freezer paper. 

 Since St. Patrick's Day was approaching I wanted to make shirts for me and my ABF. 

 This is what I get when I ask ABF to take a pic when he wants a nap
This is the annoyed look I get from ABF when I want a pic

Pretty cute, right? 
(I meant the shirts not the pics) 



Wanna see how I did it? 



I made the designs for both of our shirts using my silhouette software, and cut them out on the freezer paper with my silhouette. (Sorry, didn't get pictures of that process.)





Then I took the stencils and ironed it onto each shirt. Since freezer paper has a plastic coating it will adhere to the fabric temporarily with an iron.




I put a piece of freezer paper inside the shirt to protect it from the fabric paint bleeding through. Then went to town with my fabric paint. White for the ABF's shirt and gold for mine.




After several coats of fabric paint I peeled away the stencil... tadaa!!! 


So happy with my awesome designs. 
I'm really loving my silhouette machine too (but I'll save that for another post)


After the shirts dried, I put a piece of fabric over them and ironed it to seal the paint. Whatever you do, don't iron the paint directly or it'll ruin it. Once you've sealed the paint you can wash it in the washing machine without worry that your design will come off in the wash. 


Now you should try it. It's pretty easy, I promise. And even if you don't have a fancy cutting machine you can still make a design with freezer paper and an craft knife. And when you're done you'll have an awesome shirt to rock too! (And maybe you can get a better pic then I got.)


P.S. Happy St. Patrick's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...