Monday, April 18, 2011

Awesome Alphabet Magnets

I think that being an Aunt is one of the coolest things in the world. 

I love my nieces!!! They all crack my up in so many different ways. And being the Aunt, I get to do cool things with them, spoil them a little bit and when I'm done hanging out with them, I get to take them home so that their parents get to deal with them. Pretty sweet deal, right? 
 
My youngest niece, Kirra, will be starting the Terrible Twos soon and already has quite a bit of the attitude. But since her birthday is coming up, and I'm the crafty Aunt that I am, I had to come up with something clever to make her for her birthday. 

 My niece is all about the bling. If it's shiny or sparkly, she's all about it. So of course that had to be a factor when it came to coming up with an idea that she would love. I also wanted to make her something that would actually be useful. 

I saw this post by Anna from Wit Behind the Ears who painted over a set of plastic alphabet magnets with spray paint to make them not so ugly. And as much as I applaud her, I decided to take it one step further. 

I made Glitter Alphabet Magnets!!! 




Wanna see how I did it? 

Supplies
alphabet magnets 
paint
clear spray paint
modge podge
glitter


First I spray painted the alphabet magnets white with Krylon Fusion for plastic that I had left over from this project so that I wouldn't need as much of the pink paint. 


When the spray paint dried, I painted the letters with a pink color that matched the glitter I had picked out. 



When the paint was done drying, I applied a thick coat of modge podge and quickly poured glitter over the top of the magnet, and tapped off the excess glitter before setting it aside to dry.





Once the glitter was set, I sprayed my letters with a triple thick clear glaze to keep the glitter on the letters instead of flaking everywhere. Hopefully, that'll do the trick. 

 
I'm hoping that my niece will have as much fun playing with them as I had making them. 
 






Okay, maybe I had a little fun playing with them before I gave them to her.  



I'm sharing this project at the following parties:












6 comments:

  1. I take spray paint to everything, but never would have thought to use it on alphabet magnets! I got some for my first apartment even though I'm 18, so I think glittery pink might be in order!! :) Thanks for this FABULOUS idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute idea! I can customize for each of my boys.


    Found you on a blog hop. Please visit http://www.dontmesswithmama.com when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a super fun and great idea! love the result!! I too am an aunt and have 8 nieces and nephews hahaha so it's always fun to hang out with them whenever i can :) thanks for sharing!

    I'm following you from homemakeronadime Creative Bloggers Party and Hop!

    Susan @http://tea-diary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, especially love the glitter! I tried something similar but it was probably the first thing I ever spray painted, so the letters have paint bubbles & the sides aren't painted too well =) Visiting from Homemaker on a Dime.

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany, this is awesome! Those magnets are sparkly and cutie. Really appreciate you sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...