Sunday, July 3, 2011

Do You Think It Was Worth The Rope Burn?

Two of my good friends, Jaime and Joe, are FINALLY getting married after 12 years of togetherness. (Although how she put him with him for that long, I'll never know...j/k...sorta) 
 
I was originally asked to be a bridesmaid in the wedding and was honored that they wanted me to be a part of their big day. However, after Amazing Boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer, Jaime and I had a conversation and I decided to graciously  back out because we didn't know at the time how ABF was going to do with treatment, or if we were even going to be able to attend the wedding at all. However, they are still good friends and have been wonderful and supportive of both me and ABF through all of this. So I had to make them something awesome for their wedding gift. 

 Jaime and Joe's style is simply country. They have horses (and cows, chickens, and rabbits...oh my!), and are buying their first home where they'll finally be able to have their animals at home. They got engaged at the rodeo. The groomsmen at their wedding will be wearing cowboy hats and boots. Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.


Since they are buying their first home, I wanted to make them something that they could use to decorate their new space. 



Pretty cool, huh? 

 Wanna see how I did it?




Supplies:
large mirror with flat frame
sisal rope (amount depends on frame) 
glue gun
embellishments
craft paint (optional)



I was so excited when I found this mirror at Goodwill, when I went there to get mason jars. It had a flat frame that was a little nicked here and there, but was perfect for this project because I was going to be covering it anyway. 




So I started this project by taking covering the mirror, to make sure I didn't get glue all over the mirror, while I was gluing on the rope. If you are not a messy crafter (like me) or can remove the mirror while you work on it, you can skip this step.




Next, I just started gluing. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's what I did. I decided instead of cutting the pieces, that I'd try to do one continuous piece that wrapped all over the mirror. But you could cut it, so that the corners are angled and come together to make a neat pattern. I used 1 package of 1/2" x 50 ft. of sisal and had plenty left over.






I decided to add embellishments to the corners. Since I was going for a western theme, I took wooden horseshoe cutouts that I got from Michael's and painted them with metallic craft paint. I attached them at each corner of the mirror. But you could easily add seashells or other nautical shapes, strips of leather or other embellishments for a different look.







Then I uncovered the mirror, cleaned all the fingerprints off, and tried to get a decent picture (which is a lot harder then it sounds, I hate photographing mirrors!) 




I'm so pleased with the way it turned out! I think Jaime and Joe are going to love it. At least I hope so! 


This project was featured: 






I'm sharing this project at the following link parties: 
































22 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this mirror & am jealous of your friends for having it. It turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! And yes, so worth the rope burn. :) What a fabulous new addition to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so worth it:) its awesome...ps umm your glue gun rocks:):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks awesome! What a great wedding present. Nice work!

    Rachel
    http://www.holy-craft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mirror makeover turned out adorable. Handmade gifts are The Best!

    I'm a messy crafter, too, and have done frame makeovers, but I never thought to cover a mirror or glass before working on a frame. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute redo! It really dressed it up! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm visiting from over at Me and My Boys. I really like your mirror transformation! I'd love for you to share it at my first weekly blog party. It is all about things that have been repurposed, reinvented, revamped, recycle, reused, reorganized, and redone. http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/recreate-into-something-new-blog-party.html

    Hope to see you over at my place soon!
    Kaitlin--The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very, very cool!!! I bet your friends loved it!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! What a wonderful transformation! Thanks so much for linking up to this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving your blog and that mirror!
    I am hosting a party today if you have anything you would like to barter with other bloggers!
    Come by and check it out and see if anything catches your eye-Free Shopping (except for a little shipping)!

    http://www.frugaliciousme.com/2011/07/barter-bazaar.html

    XOXO,
    Tasha

    www.frugaliciousme.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really cute and I'm sure they will love that it's hand made. I would!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect for a couple who had a cowboy wedding!! Thanks for linking up to Vanilla Bean today! Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! I'm sure they will love it. What a thoughtful wedding present!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bethany, that looks GREAT! And it's so thoughtful of you to make them something custom for their home. Thank you for linking up this week...I hope to see you again next Saturday!

    Jamie
    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just featured this as part of my Open House wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project! Love your blog!
    I'm a new follower following from the hop!
    Hope you'll hop by and visit my blog too!
    Have a great week!
    nancy
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so grateful that you linked up in this week's Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) This awesome post totally rocked the party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so awesome! I love to upcycle frames and your rope technique is so creative and original! I LOVE it! Thanks for linking this up to our link party last week . . . we would love to have you stop by today and link up more of your great projects and posts at Strut Your Stuff Saturday!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your frame turned out very nice! I linked this to my project: rope post today too, well done!

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...