Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Tale of Two Wreaths...



Many of you may have heard that I've signed up for Craftaholics Anonymous Bi-Annual Handmade Gift exchange. Well, at least if you read this post. I probably shouldn't have done it because I do have a lot of projects that needed to be finished in June and the first part of July, but I really, really wanted to participate.

I was really excited about the idea, because I love making things for other people (and because I really love getting things in the mail.) I had so many great ideas, and had so many possibilities!

My partner's name is Brandi and she lives in Arizona. When I was reading her e-mail, one of the things that stood out was that Brandi loves to go all out decorating for the holidays. 

Since the 4th of July was fast approaching, I decided to make Brandi something that would make her home beautiful and festive. I also took this opportunity to feed my new obsession, and make her a wreath to hang on/near her front door. 




Isn't it cute?


I'm so excited with how it turned out! I've seen many people do rag wreaths but Krystal from Sassy Sanctuary posted this beautiful patriotic rag wreath using a 4 wire wreath form, which makes the wreath look fuller. Of course I had to borrow that idea (but I'm giving her all the credit, because she came up with the clever idea!) 



I chose seven different fabric patterns that fit with my patriotic theme. And cut them into strips that were 1 inch wide and 6 inches long. I got to use my new cutting mat, ruler and rotary tool and am so pleased with how quickly I was able to cut everything. 




Then I just started tying. I made sure to double knot everything to make sure all my hard work didn't come undone. Then I added a wooden star that I painted, with my glue gun, Debra. 





Now here's where the second wreath came in. When I did my ribbon wreath I almost ran out of ribbon! I got part of the way done and had to cut more ribbon and almost ran out of all of it. The honest reason that I added the star cut out is because without it I wouldn't have had enough ribbon to finish my wreath. So when it came to cutting strips for my rag wreath I was so worried that I'd run out that I cut plenty of strips. More then enough in fact. Enough to make a whole second wreath. 




I'm so pleased with how this second wreath came out, especially since it's going to two of my favorite people in the whole world, Brad and Naomi. Brad went to high school with Amazing Boyfriend and I, and Naomi and I became good friends almost the instant we met. Brad is one of the most patriotic people I know, he enlisted in the National Guard when he was 17 and has been serving every since. I think it's fitting that such a patriotic wreath is going to such a patriotic person! 


Update: 7/5/11


Today I came home from work and there was a small envelope from my gift partner Brandi, waiting for me on my sewing table. I was so excited to open it up and see what Brandi sent me!


She sent me an adorable handmade card with a story behind the gift that she made. 




And wrapped in some pretty pink and dotted tissue paper was this adorable necklace! 




Isn't it beautiful?! 


Thank you so much for Brandi, for the beautiful necklace and the sweet story behind it. I'll try to keep the lesson in mind while I wear it. And thank you for being a wonderful partner!


And thanks to Linda from Craftaholics Anonymous for putting together such a cool exchange party. I will definitely be participating in the next one in November!





8 comments:

  1. Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Your gift swap partner will be THRILLED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these so much - I want one. I think I'll try my hand at making one - Trever will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I love rag wreaths. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the wreath turned out fantastic. love it very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. L*O*V*E my wreath, thank you very much!!! It didn't even make it all the way in the house. The kids and I were walking out the front door and there was the box!!! We opened it right there with the front door standing wide open. That's a no no in Az. our a/c bills are crazy!! Anyways, I took the wreath that was hanging on the front door down and hung up my new "cuter" wreath. It's perfect I'll use it more than for the 4th of July. I'm proud to be an American everyday : ) Thank you again. xoxo ~bb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethany this is so pretty! You are a very talented young woman...and it seems your recipient is very happy! :)

    Thank you so much for spreading the word on twitter! I appreciate that soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I had a great time on this gift exhange.
    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that wreath you made! I'm a sucker for wreaths and started making them for every holiday/season/etc since I started blogging. :) that necklace she sent you is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...