Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship With Burlap

Does anyone else have a love/hate relationship with burlap, or is it just me? 

I love burlap, really I do. I love how it looks, and it's super durable. 

But I also I hate burlap because I hate cutting it. And it's super messy because it sheds EVERYWHERE!!! 

Anyway, I made yet another wreath using burlap...


October's UCreate project was to make a burlap wreath using this tutorial from Linda at Craftaholics Anonymous. Linda's wreath was really simple, and I loved the flowers that she made from different colors of burlap. 

But I like to do things a little differently, because that's just how I roll. 

I'd been wanting to make another rag wreath after making my patriotic rag wreaths in June, and I thought it would be fun to make one with burlap. I didn't quite realize how messy this wreath was going to be to make, because the burlap shed EVERYWHERE while I was tying it together. But I love how it turned out, although I'm still debating making a ribbon hanger with some pretty autumn ribbon that I have been hoarding.




As sad as I'm going to be to take down my Halloween spider wreath after Halloween is over, at least I have this wreath to hang on the door. 



This project was featured!!!








I'm sharing this project at the following link parties: 













































20 comments:

  1. I have the same issue with that darn burlap...I also have a mischivious pup who runs off with all the strings and I find them in the couch, the bed, the kitchen...EVERYWHERE! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I do love your other wreaths this one might just by my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I LOVE this one! It is so full & perfect! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wreath! Lovely as always.
    I am right there with you about the shredding. I made one rosette and gave the rest to my hubby to use as a table runner in his garage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to the love-hate relationship. Such rich texture, but also such wirey little hairs --sheds worse than a dog in summer! Thanks for sharing so we can admire without the mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly what you mean, burlap is definately messy. I just made a wreath similiar to yours =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love this wreath (saw it on ShabbyCreekCottage). We are your newest followers! Love for you to check out our blog that we started last month.
    www.thedesperatecraftwives.blogspot.com

    Just posted my first burlap wreath. A tip for cutting (saw the woman at JoAnns do it)...cut a couple inches up, then pull one of the burlap fibers straight down and it should pull out easily leaving a visible cutting path. My fiber broke a few times when pulling, but still made it easier. Having said that, you did A LOT more cutting than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the volume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. burlap is a pain but so awesome when its done...i love this:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally have a love hate relationship with the stuff but I would suffer through if anything turned out as incredible as this! Just stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow. love this

    Would Love it if you could share this on my linky party - Serenity Saturday -
    www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

    Natasha xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooo! I just LOVE how your wreath turned out! Thanks for linking up to the very first Head to Head Showdown @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com!!! ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your take on burlap, the wreath is so full and those flowers make it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rag-a-licious! I haven't tried any burlap projects but thanks for the warning ;-)

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to drop by to let you know that I featured you this week on my show and share post. Come check it out and grab a feature button. Thank you so much for linking it up. http://tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com/2011/11/show-and-share-13-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the same relationship with burlap! This is featured at Grits and Giggles. Come grab a featured button: http://gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-love-wednesday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this wreath! And, I totally get what you're saying about the big mess! With the last couple of wreaths I made I put a vinyl table cloth underneath it so when I was done I could go outside and shake it off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is beautiful! Love the burlap flowers, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! The whole this is beautiful, but you did an especially great job on the flowers!

    ReplyDelete

You have something nice to say? Write it here!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...